Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Good News and My Man Eric

We are not the sort of people who enjoy working on our house. We have lived here nearly 16 years and we have avoided just about all remodeling or updating, except for getting newer furniture and rearranging it every few months.

So after 10 months of unemployment Eric accepted a job to begin this week! Now that is good news!

That was 6 weeks ago and we decided this was the impetus to remove wall paper and paint downstairs! The first room(I regret not having "before" pictures) was found to have been signed by the last person to wallpaper on June 21, 1947!!!! That's 60+ years! And amazingly had removed any vestiges of earlier paper! The second room was last done in 1967......

Here he is working away on the Job From Hell(room 2, 3 weeks and counting)!....except its our house. The first room took about 10 days. The 63 year old wall paper came down fast and then the glue......like scrubbing bread dough off your walls. (Good for the back of your arms).

It turned out lovely I think. Eric of course was bearing most of the work load on this! Bless him!

I made the curtains from some fabric I found at Ikea! Very Scandinavian I think.


But then.....room two began immediately...by Eric mostly alone. Bless him!

Last night he nearly finished the masking taping of the woodwork. Its been 3 weeks of very hard labor. But soon.. room two will be finished. Priming and painting left. Stay tuned for the results!

1 comment:

TinaH said...

I can relate to the avoidance of projects. Our former house was in need of some expensive updates. Our huge deck was rotting . . . .and dissembled when the fire happened. In retrospect we were relieved that we hadn't spent a bunch of money on the deck and roof, furnice, air conditioner, siding, etc . . .. we were looking for a silver lining to our sad situation!