Thursday, January 7, 2010

Julgransplundring: Plunder the Tree!

I came across an idea that sits wonderfully with me while reading the American Swedish Institute newsletter, "Posten". They are having an event this Saturday January 9 called, Julgransplundring: Plunder the Tree.

We are also having a party this Saturday! We traditionally call it an Epiphany party because its an after Christmas party we have been doing for years......but we haven't really instituted any much to do with Epiphany.


We eat very well, often from a Swedish Smorgasbord style buffet table (occasionally in the long ago past sat at a formal dinner table). I light every candle I can find and we enjoy the warm atmosphere and each other.


At some point in the evening the entertainment begins....a poem, a thoughtful meditation, a comical reading, singing and a traditional shadow play.

Much later, we put on our warm clothes and find the tree in the backyard(the favorite discarded one from our neighborhood), light the candles in Danish holders, sing carols and light fireworks.


By the time we become cold, we are ready to go inside and get cozy and have some wonderful deserts. Its a grand time and memorable for everyone.

Well, since a tree is involved, we ought to do some "plundering" and add that to our activities for the evening. I'll let you know!

No comments: